Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Writing

I was recently rejected for "More sensory
vividness, and especially more emotional involvement with your characters
and world, might have given the story more of the magic promised by the
plotline." Now, some might be put off by this. I admit, I was disappointed, but there were good things as well. Plotline was good, obviously.

However, I learned a very good lesson here. In this particular story, I took out most of the adjectives, adverbs, and emotional stuff because I thought it would end up too flowery too "purple" for todays market. I let my voice be subdued by my extreme need to be published sooner rather than later. NO MORE. I am going to do it the way I originally wanted it (I think I took out literally 2k in mostly descriptive wording, phrases, out of the 86k it ended up.)

My MS writing style got described as very good for non-fiction. If you have followed my blog for very long, then you know that is NOT my normal "voice" and I am sorely tempted to put head to desk over and over again in frustration and anger. I OVER EDITED MY VOICE. NEVER AGAIN.

Now, I am going to go back over my MS and I'm going to put all that feeling of despair, anger, frustration, elation and world building back in and see what happens. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment