Friday, October 8, 2010

Gearing up

I'm gearing up for NaNoWriMo. Lots and lots to do. Prep time, planning, etc are not my strong suits, even for cleaning. Oh, I can plan with the best of them, but SOMETHING always happens. Also, I am, by nature, a pantster. No doubt about it. If I know too much of what's going to happen, I'm bored, and for life, a bit pessimistic. I have too much experience of what happens to the schedule with mice and men who have large families and even larger extended families.

I don't know about you, but for me, the largest biggest obstacle in my life seems to be boredom. If my mind is bored, it's nearly impossible to engage. Even if I want to. Like with my kids. They're talking to me. It's important to them, so I'm trying to listen. But really, unless you're a Halo fan, who cares if the Brute almost killed Master Chief but you put a sticky grenade on him and he blew up? (Obviously, even in my inattentiveness I've managed to pick things up!)

Don't get me wrong, I love video games. When I was a kid, *here comes the dating* I was master Atari Pacman & Ms. Pacman player. No-one beat me. Until I got to be an adult and they changed all the d* joy sticks into controllers. Then I became a Master Super Mario Brothers player with a controller with A, B, and D-pad (I'm picking up the lingo!)--until they changed them again. At four, my son could use those controllers better than I ever will. Why? Because very few games can engage my interest long enough for me to WANT to learn and practice the fancy-pantsy moves on a controller that has as many gadgets as my car.

Whether or not you like games, I'm sure you understand my reference. It's not that I CAN'T learn it. I'm simply not interested. My time is better spent doing other things. However, if a game interersts me, than I learn.

I write the same way. If I plan things out. I. am. bored. No two ways about it. I thought I was just being lazy and I had an opportunity for a possible series so I outlined Everything. Now, I haven't got past the first chapter. After deleting over 60k in words, I'm still bored, but now I am very frustrated as well.

Maybe this is the story I need to write for NaNoWriMo? I hadn't even considered it. May be the impetuos that I need...

Update on Family: MIL doing Very well! Children all calming down and being less hellatious. Husband off to work although he says he's not feeling well :( I'm tired and my and the baby's allergies went sky rocketing at the latest routing of dust, garbage and mouse stuff. UGH The boys seem to be keeping this lingering cough that's affecting their asthma, although it's not as bad as it was. But otherwise we are all doing much much better. Sounds funny after the so/so comments, but believe me, the last 2 months have really sucked on the sick factor.

Fall Cleaning is going well again. I'm on an upswing! If only we could figure out a way to drive the mice back out! My MIL pointed out that the reason we have such a HUGE problem in the last 2 months is that they finally started cleaning the house/yard behind us. It has been collecting cars and debris for probably 50 years. No joke. The man who lived there (Uncle who died in late Dec. as stated in an older post) lived through THE DEPRESSION. The one that makes this one look like a pout? Yeah, that one.

He kept everything. His son who lives next door to him is almost as bad. Probably learned from Dad? Anyway, they started cleaning it up. All of those wonderful hidey holes for bugs, mice, and arachnoids being burned up and taken away, depending on what it was. I can't believe we didn't realize it sooner. Trying to get rid of the little suckers, but I hate killing them. If I had a cat, I wouldn't mind so much. Natural order of things and all that. You know? But they are making me and my children sick and nothing I do seems to make them want to leave.

Thanks to Disney and The Great Mouse Detective :P LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment